What do nonspecific ST-segment and T-wave changes on a resting EKG indicate?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2017
Mar 2017

Cardiologist
Question
What does non specific st and t wave changes on resting EKG
mean? I had a stress echo and they said I had no abnormal st changes with exercise but didn't know what the nonspecific means. It was a cardiologist that wrote the report. And does the stress test only look at the left ventricle?
Tue, 29 May 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please refer to the detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hello Ma'am

I have gone through the medical details provided by you carefully and would like to tell you that non specific means it's not related to any clinical condition and is harmless.

Some female individuals do have these non specific ecg changes specially in the precordial leads. As you have a normal stress test so there is nothing to worry for as this rules out any underlying cardiac pathology.

I hope this information will relieve your worries .

Kind regards
Dr Bhanu partap

Follow-up: What do nonspecific ST-segment and T-wave changes on a resting EKG indicate? 12 hours later
What causes the changes then?

Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello Again

Detailed Answer:
The common causes of such ST T changes includes

1. Hyperventilation

2. Anxiety

3. Drinking Hot and Cold Beverages

4. Positional changes

5. Low Potassium levels

I hope this information will answer your query.

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu partap

Follow-up: What do nonspecific ST-segment and T-wave changes on a resting EKG indicate? 1 hour later
What if the patient had episodes of arm heaviness, pain or chest discomfort?

Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello again

Detailed Answer:
If a patient comes with chest pain or arm discomfort along with these changes direct us further to do a stress test in the form of a TMT or stress echocardiogram to see whether these changes are specific to cardiac issues or not.

In your particular case as stress echo came out to be normal which rules out the possibility of having any cardiac issue.

But if you still wants a 100 % evidence of not having any sort of coronary artery disease then the only test for that is an Angiogram.

Hope to have been helpful.

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu Partap