What do nausea, heart flutters and shooting pains in the left arm indicate?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Mon, 10 Dec 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I had a episode last week where I got real Nasuas and then broke out in a sweat and it felt like a thousand needles where shooting up my left arm and across my shoulder blades and after about 15 minutes it went away what is that .sometimes after periods of stress and not enough sleep my heart flutters and I smoked for 35 years ; have gained 40 pounds in 7 years I quit smoking before Christmas
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Probably an anxiety disorder!

Detailed Answer:

I have reviewed your information fully. This is not consistent with a heart attack or heart disease.

This is more suggestive of anxiety or panic attacks. I will suggest that you get some anti-anxiety medications and use. The results would be helpful and diagnostic as well.

Given your history of smoking and increased weight gain, I will recommend that you see your doctor for evaluation.

You should be screened for all other risk factors for heart disease and managed adequately so as to reduce your risk of possible heart disease.

Congratulation on quitting smoking. No matter what, the gains outclass the withdrawal symptoms that you may suffer. never give in to returning to smoking again.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Ivo Ditah, Internal Medicine Specialist