What do lumps in throat indicate?

Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I had a mri that found two "lump" in throat. Had a IV Cat scan today. They called and said I have a protrusion or prominence in left tonsil. Being referred to a throat specialist. What is the usual prognosis?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Tonsillar cyst or Squamous papilloma...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting the query; I will try my best to help you with this query.

The commonest causes of swelling in the tonsil are:
1. Tonsillar cyst
2. Squamous papilloma

Other uncommon causes include:
1. Lymphomas (predominantly seen in males)
2. Squamous cell carcinoma

Considering your age and the lesion seen inside the tonsil, it is better to get evaluated further. Removal of the tonsil and getting histo-pathological work-up done, will help in analysing the lesion. Depending upon the type of lesion, further treatment can be planned.

Hope this information has been helpful to you; revert back to me if you have any further queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar 18 minutes later
My tonsils were removed
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Could be the remnant of tonsil

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for writing back

I do feel, in the absence any symptoms, it could be the remnant of the tonsils, which could have got hypertrophied. At present, I will not discuss about the other causes till I see the images of the oral cavity. If you can kindly send us the images of the oral cavity, I will be able to help you in a better way.

Awaiting for your response...

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj