What do hive-like rashes on the arms and thighs indicate?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 28 Sep 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have an issue with the skin on my forearms. They itchs really bad and if I scratch them it looks like hives but if I continue to scratch them the bumps swell up and almost look like mosquito bits and its on both my arms and on the front and back of my thigh. The more it continues the more it itches even in my sleep.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Seems to be urticaria, antihistaminic & calamine lotion

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your complaints and it could be urticaria.
It is an allergic reaction to a number of causes like infections, foods, drugs, thyroid disorders and sometimes occurs without any cause.

I would recommend you to take antihistaminic like tablet Cetrizine twice daily and apply a soothing lotion like calamine lotion on the affected areas twice daily for 10-14 days.

If it doesn’t improve in 10 days consult a doctor and get it evaluated.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Asmeet Kaur Sawhney, Dermatologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad