Owl Image

What do headaches with joints pain indicate while on BP and arthritis pain medications?

Excellent

Neurologist
Question
Hello Dr. Panwar,
Thank you for following up with us!
The visit to the ER that day 2 hours after the noticeable lapse in memory resulted in the doctor diagnosing it as a TIA and had us schedule a visit to the Neurologist the following day.
Also, during the ER check, they found my father's blood pressure to be 185/95. Turns out he had not neen taking his blood pressure medication for two weeks because he thought it would interfere with the supplements he was raking for arthritis pain. He went back on the blood pressure medication immediately and is back to 135/85.
The neurologist visit resulted in a recommendation of 3 things: Labwork for cholesterol, heart sonogram, and physical therapy to improve walking posture (and also help physical pain from arthritis) - specifically swimming. We have not yet received the results from the lab tests or heart sonogram yet.
He said he had a bit of a headache for about 3 days after the ER visit, but has not complained of headaches since. Also he took it easy for a week after that and complains only of the arthritis pain in his joints now.
Are there any other symptoms that we should be looking out for now?
Any advice is appreciated!
Thank you again,
Tue, 15 May 2018 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Did your father had his MRI Brain?

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for being in follow-up.

In regards to our last discussion, did your father got a brain MRI? If yes, please attach the report here.

Further, I think its better for him to be on regular aspirin and statin. Considering the TIA, Carotid doppler should be done as well.Rest all, appears to be fine.

Hope that helps.If you have any further questions,I shall be glad to have you in follow-up.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)

Follow-up: What do headaches with joints pain indicate while on BP and arthritis pain medications? 7 hours later

Hi Dr. Panwar,

I had forgotten to mention that the Doctor in attendance had ordered a CT (rather than an MRI - although I had asked if an MRI could be done) and a doppler reading of the carotid artery had been done also. Both showed clear signs and nothing unusual according to the doctor. But he wanted to treat it like a TIA anyway so that we could follow up with Neurology. Which we had.

I should have included this information earlier.

He now has to go in for a heart sonogram. And is attending physical therapy.

Should we be looking for any other symptoms (memory loss or fogginess, forgetting how to put the car in reverse, those types of things)?

Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
MRI would be better investigation.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for being in follow-up.

I still suggest that a MRI of Brain is desirable, especially in case of transient memory lapse and other symptoms you mentioned.In view of TIA, he needs to be on regular aspirin and statins. Of course, you should be noticing for such symptoms, which may be indicative of cognitive impairment.If there is deterioration(transient or gradual), it should be investigated. Besides, the investigation for the same is incomplete without MRI Brain.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)

Follow-up: What do headaches with joints pain indicate while on BP and arthritis pain medications? 15 hours later
Thank you Dr. Panwar.

Can we ask the Neurology office for an additional MRI scan? And if so, what should we specifically request that they look for (technical name)?

I really appreciate this advice.

Thank you,
XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
MRI Brain.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for being in follow-up.

Of course, it should be done.

MRI Brain should be asked for.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)

Follow-up: What do headaches with joints pain indicate while on BP and arthritis pain medications? 4 hours later

Shall ask for one then. Thank you for continuing the conversation so that we do this.

We appreciate your help with this!

Sincerely, XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
U'r welcome.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for appreciation.

Please get back to me with the MRI report.

For now, if you have no further questions, you may close the thread else leave the thread open for future.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)