question-icon

What could cause heavy spotting after 9 months of amenorrhea?

Posted on Tue, 16 Oct 2018
Question: how come after 9 months of no menses am i spotting heavily?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal (48 minutes later)
Brief Answer:

Can be due to menopausal hormonal changes.

Detailed Answer:

Hello and thanks for posting your query.

The spotting after 9 months of amenorrhea can be related to menopausal hormonal changes.

This can happen during menopause. The spotting usually stops on its own in 1-2 weeks or is followed by a bleeding.

In case the bleeding is heavy or is persistent then do consult your gynecologist for an examination and a few investigations to rule out other cervix or uterus related pathologies.

I hope this answers your query.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal
OBGYN

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN