What could cause extreme dryness in lips?

Dr. Suresh Heijebu

Posted on Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have extreme dryness inside the bottom of my lip. It is not thrush, I have been seen 3 times to make sure.
No sores, a little tingling on the tip of my tongue. I have added B2, potassium and Vit C to my regimen.
Pls advise
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Treatment is conservative in idiopathic.

Detailed Answer:
Hi,Madam.

I have carefully read your query and understand your concern.

Dry mouth/lips more aptly known as xerostomia can be a common symptom in women.

The most common causes in your case could be associated diabetes mellitus or an underlying autoimmune process "sjogrens syndrome' or just an idiopathic(cause unknown )

I recommend you to undergo blood sugar testing and an ANA screen.
following measures can help you to keep your dry mouth/lips away:

1.Chewing sugar free gum.

2.Sugar free lemon drops.

3.Drugs like Pilocarpine(salagen) and Cevimiline(Evoxac)-ceonsult your physician w.r.t these medications.

4.Artificial saliva substitutes and oral lubricants containing glycerine.

5.Use toothpaste containing fluoride and calcium.

6.Use non alcohol based mouth washes ex BIOTENE.

7.Drinking more water especially while eating.

8.Hydrating balms like Vaseline helps.

9.Maintain good oral hygiene

I also advice you to review your drug history with your treating history as few drugs with anticholinergic action can cause such dryness.

You can continue with your current prescribed medications.

I strongly recommended you to get the above tests.
In case they are found to be negative ,above treatment usually suffices.

I hope this info is helpful to you,

Post your further queries on http ://bit.ly/drsureshheijebu
Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj