What causes occasional bouts of diarrhea shortly after a meal?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Mon, 16 Apr 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Iget occasional bouts of diarrhea shortly after I eat a meal. This has happened for years. I had a colonoscopy 10 years ago and one small benign polyp was removed. I am
sheduled again. No family history of colon cancer. No blood in stools. What are my chances and other reasons to cause this. I am a 64 yo male.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
possible ibs.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.
I've gone through your details.
I am a gastroenterologist and would be addressing your concerns.
As per the details given by you your symptoms are suggestive of Irritable bowel syndrome.However IBS is a diagnosis of exclusion as there is no test to confirm you have IBS,It means that when you have nothing or all your investigations are normal you are labelled as having IBS.
what exactly is IBS?
A common disorder affecting the large intestine is the Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Abdominal pain, bloating, gas diarrhoea are some of the signs and symptoms of IBS.Its a chronic condition and is usually there from months or years. Foods, stress and other diseases can trigger the problem.
However the exact cause of irritable bowel syndrome is not yet known but studies suggest that a lot of factors play a major role. The intestinal walls are lined with a layer of muscle which contracts and relaxes in a rhythm when they move to your rectum through your intestinal tract. If you acquire irritable bowel syndrome, the contractions can get stronger and last much longer than usual. This causes diarrhea, bloating and gas. In some cases, the opposite can also occur, this can be characterized by weak intestinal contractions, which slows food passage resulting to dry and hard stools.Some patients presents with constipation while other have loose stools.Every patient with IBS is different with varying symptoms.
In IBS there is some problem in the functional ability of the gut that leads to the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome. The structure of the intestines is normal, only functional abnormality occurs in this condition.So frankly speaking (IBS) represents a functional disorder of gastrointestinal tract without the presence of an anatomic defect SO in lay mans language till date we are not sure whats the exact cause of this problem.

Tab cibis 8mg thrice daily(contains Chlordiazepoxide, Clidinium Bromide, and Dicyclomine) consult your local pharmacy for this salt combination.

Why cibis?
Dicyclomine is an anticholinergic drug.An anticholinergic agent is a substance that blocks the neurotransmitter acetylcholine in the central and the peripheral nervous system. Anticholinergics inhibit parasympathetic nerve impulses by selectively blocking the binding of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine to its receptor in nerve cells.

Clidinium bromide is an anticholinergic (specifically a muscarinic antagonist) drug. It may help symptoms of frequent stools.

Chlordiazepoxide works by increasing the action of GABA, a chemical messenger which suppresses the abnormal and excessive activity of the nerve cells in the brain.
They are all antispasmodics and would help with spasms in intestines.

Food pattern recommended is-
Eat simple and natural home cooked food.
If possible try detox diet (Raw vegans) for at least 3 month. Take normal food in lunch while in supper take uncooked raw (low fiber) natural form of food. This can play wonders.
Avoid taking excessive fibres. A total fiber intake of about 20-25 gram per day would be good for you.
No pizza,Burger, Red meat, and dairies for few weeks.
No alcohol or smoking.

As to take natural food rich in probiotics like Yoghurt, Kimchi,etc.This doesn't mean that you have to take them as much as you can.Follow your body increase their uptake gradually.
Drink lots of juices and fresh water daily. Drink cleaner water, it will help a lot.
Avoid over spicy and heavy food.

In case you need any other help feel free to ask.I would be happy to help you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana