What could cause debilitating huge headaches, lightheadedness, weakness and fluctuating fever after recovering from congestion, cough and fatigue?

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Posted on Tue, 13 Aug 2019 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: i went to my dr on 3/29/18 in which my chief complaint was congestion; cough and fatigue. i was prescribed bactrim DS and cough medicine which i took for 3 days......just as my symptoms subsided and i thought i was all better, i then devolped a new set of symptoms much more debilitating; huge headache; light headedness; weak; and fever fluctuating from 99 to a high of now 101.2. i also have a stomach ache and lose bowels that are very smelly. my anxiety is getting the best of me as it always does...should i go to the emergency room? am i at risk of going into septic shock? i have lots of essential oils and use them when i dont feel good or mainly for my anxiety. can some of my oils cure me? frankensence; lemon; clove; lavendar; breath by doterra. what should i do? i have had these symptoms for 2 days now right after the first set of other symptoms.

i took the bactrim for 10 days, not 3 days as i put earlier

my bones ache a little as well
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Gastroenteritis

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir,

I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns but it seems that you have developed an antibiotic induced gastroenteritis. This happens because antibiotics generally have a negative effect on intestinal flora leading to predisposition of intestinal infection.

However, I would recommend that you take ibuprofen tablets 200 mg every eight hours for the fever and body pain together with imoduim every eight hours to stop the diarrhea. If you don't feel better within a couple of days then you will need to get a stool analysis done to get a prescription of metronidazole (flagyl) which should be taken every eight hours for five days. Keep yourself adequately hydrated to compensate for fluid loss due to diarrhea. However you are not in risk of septic shock and you can use these oils if they make you feel better.

I hope you find this helpful..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 19 hours later
hello....ok...i seen my DR today....my fever is down some to about 99 but my stomach pain is still really bad. i went to the restroom about 10 times today. he prescribed me metronidazole 500mg 3 x per day. will this make my stomach pain go away? wil this antibiotic kill off other healthy bacteria in my stomach? he told me not to take anything over the counter. i am very reluctant in taking the antibiotic since an antibiotic caused this issue in the first place.....
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 30 hours later
Brief Answer:
Stool analysis

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir, hello again.. if you are not getting better on conservative treatment then you will need to take the metronidazole course to clear any possible gastrointestinal bacterial infection.. however, if you are getting better with conservative treatment then you can get a stool analysis to confirm the abscence of bacterial infection and exclude the need for metronidazole.. You can also take natural probiotics in youghurt which will help restore your bacterial flora.. I hope you find this helpful..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy