question-icon

What causes yellowish and bluish round particles in stool?

Posted on Wed, 2 Dec 2015
Question: Our son, in China, is passing smooth lentil, or chick-pea-like, yellowish balls in his stool, w/ a little bluish discoloration at the end, x ~ 1 month. There are a number of them in each bowel movement--like polka dots throughout the stool. They are firm when removed. He popped one and it was kind of hollow w/ some bluish brown pigment in it. No associated pain. Takes a large, daily multivitamin and no other medication. What might that be? Larvae? Something produced by his body?
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu (5 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Possible parasitic infection.

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Sir.

I can most certainly understand your concerns.

I apologize for the delayed response owing to my hectic work schedule.

I have worked through your query in detail.

As per your description, the possibility of parasitic gut infection is high. Many such infections can asymptomatic .

It is very important to get a complete stool examination for ova, cysts or parasites.

Further management if any is largely based on test results.

Post your further queries if any.
Thanking you.
Dr. Suresh Heijebu