What causes weakness, lack of appetite, muscle and joint pain, imbalance and confusion?

Posted on Thu, 13 Jul 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: My father is almost 90 years old. Over the past two months, he has been experiencing severe weakness, unstable balance, muscle and joint pain, lack of appetite, and some mild mental confusion. He had a fall several months ago, but I don't know if it is related to his symptoms. Do you know what could be causing these symptoms?
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Chronic subdural hematoma.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

In your father's case, chronic subdural hematoma should be considered as a possible condition that may cause such symptoms gradually after a fall.

It is necessary an evaluation with brain CT scan to confirm or exclude it.

If confirmed, prompt evacuation of hematoma by a neurosurgeon may be necessary because it is a serious condition that may risk your father's life.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical