What causes weakness in hands, legs, dizziness and rapid heart beat?

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist

Posted on Tue, 31 May 2016 in General Health
Question: I have a friend residing in Kiribati (Pacific Islands). their hospitals and doctors are horrible, they prescribe panedol for everything. He said he used to have a hole in his heart. he is 37 years old, he is having some problems these days. He says that sometimes he feels powerless in his hands and feels very weak and sick.His heart beat is faster than usual. (by the way he is very skinny too and doesn't care about his diet). Last night he fainted out of nowhere. He felt a little dizzy and then fainted. He has never fainted before. What should i do for him?
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Your friend requires consultation from cardiologist and neurologist

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.
Please find my observations below.

1. Your friend requires a detailed evaluation of the heart and brain to know what might have caused his fainting. Panadol is a medicine for pain relief.

2. Since he used to have a hole in his heart and we are not sure if it has been treated or not and neither are complete deatils availabe, therfore there is a likelihood that his heart function is not completely normal. It is requested that he gets an ECG and echocardiography done after consulting a cardiologist.

3. At the same time he is having fainting and this requires that a carotid Doppler scan to be done to know if blood supply from heart to brain is normal. He might also require a MRI scan brain after neurological examination.

In conclusion, your friend requires a consultation with a cardiologist and neurologist and after that some tests for the heart and brain functions are important to be done if recommended following clinical examination.

He can also get basic blood work, chest x ray and ultrasound scan abdomen done if he is feeling weak and the doctors recommend.

Hope your query is answered.
Please do write back if you have any doubts.