Owl Image

What causes watery eyes?

Excellent

Ophthalmologist
Question
My right eye fills up and runs constantly for a bit....some times my left eye will do the same...I had Bell's Palsy a year ago and the left eye was running but stopped when the illness was gone..
Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
It can be because of decreased drainage of tears.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Madam
Welcome to Health care magic
I am Dr. DADAPEER K, an Ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye.

It seems from the history that you are having watering in both the eyes and had Bell's palsy a year ago on the left side.

Watering in your case appears to be because of decrease in the drainage because of either age related weakness of the muscles of the eyelid and weakness of lacrimal pump or because of Bell's palsy.
The common conditions to be ruled out are eye lid conditions like ectropion, lagophthalmos and lacrimal sac conditions like lacrimal pump failure, chronic dacryocystitis.

Hence this requires examination by a ophthalmologist to find out the underlying cause and treatment accordingly.
Do write back to me with the examination findings.

Hope the information is helpful to you.

Thank you
with regards