What causes vomiting after feeding breast milk?
Exclusive breast feeding & doctor consultation adv
Thanks for your query on HealthCareMagic. In a 7 day old baby, mother's milk is the best food. Exclusive breast feeding is recommended upto 6 months of age. No water, No supplements required. In case the baby is vomiting, you can try giving Ondem (ondansetron) drops or Domstal (domperidone) drops. Had I known the exact body weight, I could have given the exact dose required for your baby. Information on whether the baby was born preterm would also have been helpful. If the bowel movements get normalised with such medicines, the stool is also expected to become ok.
In case with such medicines the vomiting does not come down, you should take the baby to your doctor. Let me mention that in a newborn, the signs of infection are subtle. In case the child is not well, feeding comes down and often it is associated with vomiting. It is also associated with other symptoms like lathergy and/or low/high temperature. We need to look deeper into the cause. It would be advisable that you take the baby to a doctor and get some blood tests including C-Reactive protein (CRP) and blood counts done. With that infection can be ruled out and that needs to be done.
Hope that I have been able to clarify your query. Feel free to ask back in case of further queries.
Ondansetron has a dosage of 0.15 mg/kg
Ondansetron oral solution (4mg/5ml) can be given at 0.15 mg/kg. For your child the dose would be 0.5 ml (10 drops) twice or thrice daily. But I would recommend giving it only under guidance of your treating pediatrician.
Hope that would take care of your query. Wish your daughter to get well soon.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes vomiting after eating food
- What causes vomiting after having lasagna
- What causes vomiting after each feed in a baby
- What causes bloating sore breast and vomiting
- What causes tongue to turn black after vomiting
- Child has vomiting after feeding cause and treatment
- What is the cause for vomiting after eating with ibs
- What causes vomiting after eating fruits
- Vomited after taking doxycycline what is the cause
- What causes vomiting and stomach pain after eating
- Suggest treatment for autism spectrum disorder
- What causes loose stools post cesarean operation?
- Suggest treatment for rash on a 4 yr old
- What do light colored skin patches on thigh indicate?
- Suggest treatment for fever and sore throat in a child
- What causes swelling in head of an infant?
- Can Taxim O Forte and Vizylac be given together?
- Suggest treatment for anorectal malformation in a down syndrome child
- What causes vomiting after feeding breast milk?
- Suggest treatment for persistent high fever