What causes upper abdominal pain during 24th week of pregnancy?
Investigations have to be done.
Thank you for asking at healthcaremagic.
I carefully read your question and understand your concern.
Upper abdominal pain is caused by a few conditions. A very common one in women over 30 years of age is gallbladder stones. When a XXXXXXX is pregnant hormones produced in the stomach stimulate production of another chemical (hormone) that causes the gallbladder to contract and bring out the fluids. If a stone is at the neck of the gallbladder can cause blockage and a lot of pain.
Another cause would be if you have stomach ulcer. Due to the food irritating the stomach mucosa directly as it touches it, we get pain soon after eating. Stomach ulcer causes pain soon after eating and is better a couple of hours after eating.
Another more rare cause but important one is bowel ischemia. This happens when the bowel arteries are narrow and can not provide the needed amount of blood when we eat (normlly when we eat the bowel needs more blood- it is similar to the heart having ischemia when we run) and causes bowel ischemia. When we stop eating bowel demands for blood go back to the basic level and we feel better.
What can you do?
1. you need to see your doctor
2. your doctor might order some tests like:
- abdominal ultrasound (easily diagnosis gallbladder stones),
- ECG and heart ultrasound to identify for heart problems that might cause thrombi that might move and cause blockage including the bowel arteries,
- general health tests if you have not had them in the last year: lipids, sugar tests, creatinine and electrolites
- if all these are normal your doctor might order a tests to examine your stomach with a camera through the throat and esophagus called fibrogastroscopy.
I hope this is helpful and answers to your question but please reply to this message in case more clarification is needed on this.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Causes of upper abdominal pain
- Snus causing upper abdominal pain
- What causes upper abdominal pain and back pain during night
- 38 weeks with upper abdominal pain
- What causes upper abdominal pain and fever
- What are the causes for chronic upper abdominal pain
- What is the reason for upper abdominal pain
- Upper abdominal pain during period
- What causes right sided upper abdominal pain
- What causes upper abdominal pain and rectal bleeding
- Suggest treatment for dizziness, fatigue and nausea when diagnosed with...
- What causes constant abdominal bloating after gallbladder surgery?
- Suggest remedies for chronic hiccups
- Suggest treatment for severe cramps and abdominal pain
- What does my HIDA report result indicate?
- Suggest treatment for diarrhea, low grade fever and abdominal pain
- Suggest treatment for symptoms of GERD
- Suggest treatment for severe acid reflux despite taking Nexium
- Does Tylenol Cold cause diarrhea when taken for cold and flu?
- Suggest treatment for multiple anal abscesses