What causes unresponsiveness and vigorous shaking of the head in an infant?

Excellent

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Question
My son is one and half year old...he has development delays and based on suggestion by the paediatric neurologist when he was 6m old, we got MRI done and doctor said that there isn't any major problem but asked us to get physio done as at that time, he was not that responsive, was shaking his head vigorously, no head control etc., since then we are getting physiotherapy done on daily basis as he has low tone muscle and hence not able to crawl, sit on his own or is able to speak single words. when he's frustrated or idle, he keeps shaking his head left to right and vice versa covering ears with both his palms and at times beats himself on his head above his ears even now...more so, these days, he cries a lot without any reason. he will be quiet if we carry him or we need to put some cartoon movie, then he's ok... He doesn't like playing with toys much. Otherwise, he now recognises us, responds when we call his name, smiles, laughs etc., he can kneel on his hands now but can't sit on his own or stand

Pls provide your assessment of our child and if any intervention needs to be done other than physio.More so, what can be done when he cries without any reason
Tue, 29 May 2018 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
I need more information please get back with answers

Detailed Answer:
Hi....I understand your concern. But I need more information before guiding you further.

Please answer the questions below -

1. What is the exact date of birth?
2. What was the birth weight?
3. What is the current weight and length of the kid?
4. Did the baby cry immediately after birth?
5. Was the baby breast fed in the first 24 hours of life?
6. When did the baby attain social smile?
7. When did the baby roll over (at what age)?
8. At what age did the baby sit without support?
9. At what age did the baby stand without support?
10. When did the baby start saying mama - dada?
11. Did the baby get seizures any time?

Please get back to me with answers so that I will be able to guide you better.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth

Follow-up: What causes unresponsiveness and vigorous shaking of the head in an infant? 22 minutes later
1.11May2016; 2. 2.3kgs; 3. 10kgs, 78cms 4. Yes 5. Yes 6. 4.5 months; 7. 7 months; 8. Can't yet sit on his own, if he make him sit he can sit as long as he wants to sit and later rolls over wherever he wanted to go 9. He can't stand however with our support holding his shoulders, he can bear his weight and stand on his feet 10. Not yet, but babbles 11. No. Have attached relevant medical documentation since his 4th month

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I suggest you meet a clinical psychologist

Detailed Answer:
Hi... I did not get any medical documentation which you have uploaded.

But from the information which you have given and also from the original query information, I feel that your child is having definitely gross motor delay for which Physiotherapy will be extremely helpful.

But at the same time I also feel from putting together everything, that, he is having very early stages of probable autistic spectrum disorder.

I suggest you get in touch with a paediatric clinical psychologist who may run some tests on him and find out the root cause.

The clinical psychologist with also each you how to deal with the baby so that this sort of behaviour doesn't develop into full-blown autism.

This is a not a final diagnosis. As you have asked me about any further problems which your child might be having apart from motor delay and apart from any other remedial measures like Physiotherapy, I am suggesting this.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth

Follow-up: What causes unresponsiveness and vigorous shaking of the head in an infant? 27 minutes later
Thank you doctor. We will visit psychologist. I could not attach PDF medical documentation initially but could successfully upload it 2nd time; Basis that, pls let me know your observations if any

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I have seen the documents- advise remains the same please

Detailed Answer:
Hi.... I have just seen all the documents which you have uploaded. There seems to be a hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy which is related to some perinatal insult or oxygen deprivation to the brain. I suggest you follow my previous advise as the new documentation is not going to change any of the which I have already given you.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth