What causes throat pain while swallowing?

Dr. Neel Kudchadkar

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: hello, for the past few months i have had a dull pain when swallowing that comes and goes.
when i sneeze the pain is there right after i swallow and then goes away.

i find myself swallowing my saliva alot it sometimes feels like something in my throat like little pieces left over food.

i have a rotted tooth which food does get stuck in once in a while. i also have very bad allergies and am burping or have urge to burp a lot.
i would like to know if it sounds like anything serious and now i am very conscience when i swallow. someone said it could be spasms of pharnyx

thanks
Answered by Dr. Neel Kudchadkar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Odynophagia: Direct Laryngoscopy and betadine mouth washes with lignocaine.

Detailed Answer:
Hi!

I'm Dr. Neel Kudchadkar and I will help you with this health problem. Being your personal doctor, I have carefully examined your entire question and have given much thought to solving your problem.

Pain while swallowing is called odynophagia.

To be on the safe side, I will ask you to go to the ENT doctor and get a direct layrngoscopy done. This will eliminate any fears of cancerous lesions and will convince you once and for all that these swallowing issues are due to infections. Of course, you have mentioned a rotten tooth, so there must be oral hygiene issues.

For the rotten tooth, I suggest that you use a combination of metronidazole and lignocaine paste. This is available without prescription at pharmacies. This will ease the pain also and disinfect the tooth. Furthermore, I am directly asking you to use betadine mouth wash diluted 3 times a day. You must gargle this thrice for a week. This will remove infections of the throat and give you a good breath.

This will solve your problem. There is no need to take Bruffen or Crocin painkillers.

Be relaxed. Be happy.

Thanks,
Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar