What causes tailbone pain and shoulder pain?

Dr. Klerida Shehu

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Wed, 26 Feb 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi Doctor, my grandmother who is 82 has on and off pain I believe in the Ischial Tuberosity on the left side, described as "throbbing" and she is unable to go up her stairs. She also has a swollen right foot that was diagnosed as Cellulitis, but has not gotten completely better. She has arthritis and osteoporosis, and has lost weight; she is very thin and it scares me. She works too hard around the house and I am going to try and help her by stretching her hamstrings and periformis and test her strength. I know her hip muscles are weak. (I am a PT Assistant grad)What do you think is going on? Now two weeks later she has left sided "tailbone" pain as she describes it, along with left humerus pain and shoulder pain. It comes and goes she said. When she moves, walks, it hits her and is described as "hard" and "deep". She keeps referring to it as "bone pain". I am worried and need to find her the Right help! BTW, Her left knee became swollen and tender she said with pain behind it. The treatment of heat, stretching and exercise helped, but two weeks later, now, her knee is still swollen. She has had complaints of left sided "sciatic-type" issues. The periformis stretch does not seem to help...please help.
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 16 hours later
Brief Answer: Please provide the test results&drugs she is takin Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for sharing the concern of your grandmother with XXXXXXX Before running into conclusions, I'd gently ask to have the results of tests your grandmother has done recently together with medications she is taking for high blood pressure. From the medical data you provided, it seems that your grandmother are having problems with arthritis. A further evaluation with rheumatologist is needed together with other lab results: - ERS (erythrosedimentation) and CRP - complete blood profile - blood levels of calcium and vit.D - bone densitometry to further evaluate her osteoporosis stage. As she is having such problems, she should start immediate treatment with anti-inflammatory drugs including: - corticosteroids (after evaluating her high blood pressure) - NSAIDs (ketoprofen, diclophenac, etc) - applying local analgesics - keep massaging At the end, facing such problems at her age is quite difficult. However, the main aim to alleviate her pain. Looking forward to have the requested data! Dr.Klerida
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D