Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

What causes tailbone pain and shoulder pain?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 2205 Questions
Hi Doctor, my grandmother who is 82 has on and off pain I believe in the Ischial Tuberosity on the left side, described as "throbbing" and she is unable to go up her stairs. She also has a swollen right foot that was diagnosed as Cellulitis, but has not gotten completely better. She has arthritis and osteoporosis, and has lost weight; she is very thin and it scares me. She works too hard around the house and I am going to try and help her by stretching her hamstrings and periformis and test her strength. I know her hip muscles are weak. (I am a PT Assistant grad)What do you think is going on? Now two weeks later she has left sided "tailbone" pain as she describes it, along with left humerus pain and shoulder pain. It comes and goes she said. When she moves, walks, it hits her and is described as "hard" and "deep". She keeps referring to it as "bone pain". I am worried and need to find her the Right help! BTW, Her left knee became swollen and tender she said with pain behind it. The treatment of heat, stretching and exercise helped, but two weeks later, now, her knee is still swollen. She has had complaints of left sided "sciatic-type" issues. The periformis stretch does not seem to help...please help.
Posted Mon, 24 Feb 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 16 hours later
Brief Answer: Please provide the test results&drugs she is takin Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for sharing the concern of your grandmother with XXXXXXX Before running into conclusions, I'd gently ask to have the results of tests your grandmother has done recently together with medications she is taking for high blood pressure. From the medical data you provided, it seems that your grandmother are having problems with arthritis. A further evaluation with rheumatologist is needed together with other lab results: - ERS (erythrosedimentation) and CRP - complete blood profile - blood levels of calcium and vit.D - bone densitometry to further evaluate her osteoporosis stage. As she is having such problems, she should start immediate treatment with anti-inflammatory drugs including: - corticosteroids (after evaluating her high blood pressure) - NSAIDs (ketoprofen, diclophenac, etc) - applying local analgesics - keep massaging At the end, facing such problems at her age is quite difficult. However, the main aim to alleviate her pain. Looking forward to have the requested data! Dr.Klerida
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor