What causes swollen painful finger and itchy blisters?

Rheumatologist
Question
hi I have a swollen right finger that is painful and hot Ichi it will develop little blisters with clear fluid I do have herpes simplex virus 1 I am prone to cold sores I do not have genital herpes I do take valacyclovir and right now I'm on bactrim because a health care clinic nurse practitioner prescribe it for me singing my previous parts were bug bites it has only been on one arm and now both hands
Posted Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

Thank you for posting your query on HCM.

Well looking into your problem I will like to tell you that generally herpes would not present like that , I agree with your primary practitioner to the treatment that you have been prescribed , It can be secondarily infected cold sores even .

In my opinion you should take the complete course you have been prescribed and then see for the results .

Dr. Shruti

Follow-up: What causes swollen painful finger and itchy blisters? 3 minutes later
Okay, so you believe it is bug bites as well? I dont have it anywhere else except this ring finger, top knuckle. No one else I know is getting bitten, they don't have any "bite" marks. It's very hot and painful and swollen. When I saw the blisters before it reminded me of cold sore blisters. I havent had a cold sore in a year. I do ride the metro, could I have come into contact with something there?

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

When it is localised there is a possibility of bug bite also plus since nothing can be said with confidence so your treating doctor has given you a full cover of antibiotics, hydrocortisone and neosporin so recover is very likely as nothing else is practically left.

No I dont think you got it form travelling in metro .

Dr. Shruti

Follow-up: What causes swollen painful finger and itchy blisters? 2 minutes later
please view these photos. ive been taking the medicine for 7 days now...this one just happened today. can I take valacyclovir at the same time as bactrim? can I take zyrtec too?

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

Your photos are not uploaded here , I cant see them. Yes you can take valcyclovir along with bactrim but your liver and renal functions should be fine . In my opinion you should not take so many medicines together . Skin conditions always take time to heal , you need to be patient to see the results and act according to your treating doctor as he remains the best judge of your position as he has examined you in person .

Dr. Shruti