What causes swelling of the lips along with swelling in the tongue and throat congestion?

Dr. Jnikolla

Pulmonologist

Posted on Sat, 9 Jun 2018 in Asthma and Allergy
Question: Daughter, 43, came home from work this evening (90 minutes ago), took hot shower. Upon going to bed developed swelling of lips and mouth area, tongue swelling, some throat congestion, skin and feet itchiness and overall malaise. Presently, resting. Can drink water. Please advise
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
please keep monitoring the situation

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome in HCM

I can understand your concern

As you explain the history it seems like an allergic reaction due to something which might be a food or something she has been in contact to.

You should monitor careful her situation.If you have a antihistaminic drug at home (like levocetirizin tablet) she can take it once with no problem. If not and if her situation gets worse with especially breathlessness than she should get medical help immediately.

If she do not know to have allergy and this is the first episode she should further contact her doctor for evaluating better the allergy.

I wish a fast recovery for your daughter

I hope to have been helpful

Regards and feel free to ask me again

Dr.Jolanda
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj