What causes swelling in the left knee in an elderly patient?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 8 Oct 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: HI! My question is regarding my 83 year old mother. Her left knee has been very swollen for 3 months. She can not put any weight on it so she is trying to use a walker to get back and forth to the bathroom. She has seen an orthopedic and he gave her a shot of cortizone. She has had an xray and MRI which only showed "normal wear for an 83 year old." I am very concerned about the swelling and she is in a fair amount of pain. Any thoughts? XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Osteoarthritis is there.

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your query, she is suffering from osteoarthritis of the knee.

She can do hot fomentation, physiotherapy and take Diacerine BD for three months, inj Cortisone was ok now she can take Aceclofenac and Paracetamol 2-3 times daily for pain.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Praveen Tayal, Orthopaedic Surgeon