What causes swelling in the jaw and slurred speech

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Sat, 25 Mar 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: My dad is 79 years old a week ago he had a stent put in. on the right side of his lower jaw seems a little swollen and his speech seems a little slurry.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Stroke must be considered.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

It is not clear where was the stent put...stents can be put in many vessels, in coronary arteries (heart), carotid arteries (neck) etc.

Anyway even if it was a vessel not directly supplying the brain, the fact that he needed a stent indicates he has atherosclerotic plaques in his blood vessels, a process which usually is diffuse, affects many vessels in the body. That means he is someone at risk for stroke.

So in front of a manifestation of facial asymmetry and changes in speech the first diagnosis to be considered would be a stroke. It can be an ischemic stroke due to blockage of a blood vessel in the setting of the above mentioned plaques, but it could also be a hemorrhage in the setting of the blood thinners he certainly must be taking after having his stent. For that reason since stroke is a medical emergency I suggest you go to the ER to be evaluated for that possibility.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.