What causes swelling in penis foreskin?

Dr. Riyanka Chail

Posted on Sat, 24 Sep 2016 in General Health
Question: Hello dr, I am 30 year old. I have problem with my penis foreskin. My penis foreskin gets swollen every time I masturbate. The swelling goes away after 3 to 4 hours. I only masturbate once in a while and i don't do it vigorously. I have this problem since last 7 to 8 yrs and I took it so lightly. As my marriage is approaching, I am worried about the swelling and have no idea what is this. If required I can send photo's of the swelling for better assessment. I also have another problem, whenever I abstain from masturbation for more than 2 or 3 months, I get a dull ache or discomfort in my testicles. Why does this happen? Please advice.
Answered by Dr. Riyanka Chail 29 hours later
Brief Answer:
Kindly consult an XXXXXXX or general surgeon

Detailed Answer:
Hello Sir,
Thank you for writing in to health care magic.

Since you have been having this problem for 7 to 8 years, it seems like a chronic issue. I suggest kindly consult an XXXXXXX regarding this issue as a minor surgical intervention that is known as circumcision ( minor out patient surgicalprocedure to remove the foreskin) may be necessary to correct such problems.
It is not advisable to go for any medications as it is a chronic problem.Hence,the above menrioned procedure may be required after thorough clinical examination by an XXXXXXX or a general surgeon.
Hope i have answered your query.If there are any doubts you can reply back.
Dr.Riyanka
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Riyanka Chail 1 hour later
Thanks for your reply. I don't have any difficulty or discomfort in sliding my foreskin back and forth. Can you please suggest some cream or gel to loosen the foreskin ?
Also, please let me know, why do i get dull ache or discomfort in my testicles when i abstain from masturbation for more than 2 or 3 months ?
Answered by Dr. Riyanka Chail 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
Usage of mild steroid cream

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for writing back.
Swelling of the foreskin after masturbation can occur due to injury to the foreskin thus causing inflammation. Usage of lubricants can help. Also mild steroid creams (1% hydrocortisone) can be helpful to reduce the swelling along with antibiotic creams.
Pain in the testicles can occur due to abstinence from sexual activity for longer duration due to congestion.However,it is not a harmful condition. It is advisable to perform the act of masturbation twice a week to avoid discomfort.
It is still advisable to consult a general surgeon for thorough clinical examination before using the medications.
Hope i have answered your query.
Dr.Riyanka
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Riyanka Chail 2 hours later
Thanks for your reply. I will follow your advise and will consult a general surgeon for examination. I have one last question, does masturbation cause any long term side effects and do i have to avoid doing this act ?
Answered by Dr. Riyanka Chail 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Masturbation has no side effects

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir,
Masturbation has no side effects. However, a person should make sure to not get addicted to it.

Thank you,
Dr.Riyanka

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Riyanka Chail 58 minutes later
Thanks for answering my queries.
Answered by Dr. Riyanka Chail 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome

Detailed Answer:
You are welcome.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng