What causes stomach pain followed by locking of back muscles?

Dr. Klerida Shehu

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Wed, 18 Mar 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi, I have had stomach pains, which locks most of my back muscles up, from 3am every day for the last 12 months or so. I have been to doctors and massage places, acupuncture places, had x-rays for back problems or arthritis etc, and to natropath, chiro etc... I still have these problems. I do believe it is a gas build up in the stomach, and it feels like a twisted bowel at a guess.. I actually have to twist my hips around to have a bowel movement often... I feel the stomach pain about under or behind the LHS lower rib, and it amplifies throughout, until a shower or I move around at work etc.. It can release gas both ends sometimes to relieve etc... I believe stress is one of the major issues, but not sure what to do.. I am fairly fit and healthy, I eat well enough, I don't drink or smoke, I am hydrated enough, and I do exercise and stretch a bit each week(martial arts).. What do you suggest? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Further diagnostic tests are needed

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your medical history carefully and understood your concerns.

Your symptoms are suggestive for :
- cholecyst
- acid reflux

There are further tests to run in order to give final conclusion:
- abdominal ultrasound
- upper endoscopy
I will suggest that you discuss about the two tests with your treating doctor. He/she can help you in getting it done.

After evaluating the results would give a more specific opinion.

All the best!
Dr.Klerida

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad