What causes stiffness at back of the neck?

Dr. Behar Greca

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: The back of my neck is really stiff
it feels like something is in my throat

When I rub the back of my neck the full feeling in my throat goes away for a while?
Answered by Dr. Behar Greca 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Neck arthritis...

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thank you for posting!

I have gone through your query and I understand your concerns.

Based in your symptoms, I think that you suffer from neck arthritis, which is a mild damage of the vertebra. The sensation on your throat suggests that arthritis has affected the upper vertebrae of the neck.

In these cases, in order to relieve pain, I would recommend Chiropractic. You also need a neck X-ray, Fibrinogen test and a complete blood count.

You should consult your neurologist and based on the tests results, he will determine if you need non steroidal anti inflammatory medicines.

Ask me for anything unclear.

All the best,
Dr. Behar.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj