What causes stiffness and pain in the legs upon exertion?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 24 May 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have had increasing difficult with my legs, one hip - I am stiff but once i get going loosen up - but if I do anything strenuous or fast, within minutes of completing the task my body stiffens up and my legs hurt for 24-48 hours bad enough that it's hard to stand or walk until I get moving. 64 - been very active most of my life, this has been the challenge for past year or so... I am obsese and have thought that was the problem, carrying too much weight, and am working to get it off - but have started thinking it may be something else?
Thanks
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be osteoarthritis.

Detailed Answer:
From your symptoms it seems that your joints have undergone osteoarthritic changes. These are basically age related degenerative changes in the weight bearing joints and is characterized by joint pain and stiffness. Upon movement the stiffness gradually relives. Sometimes application of hot pads can make the movement possible.
The treatment options include pain killers, hot fomentation, lubricating agents like glucosamine sulfate, chondroitin , dycerin, etc and some life style modifications and physiotherapy.
Right now you can start taking Tablet Tylenol ( Acetaminophen) Double Strength after breakfast and after dinner. It is suggested to add calcium supplements 500mg each twice daily. This will take care of your mild symptoms in 3-5 days.
You can start with walking and aerobic fitness exercises, quadriceps strengthening, lateral heel wedges, etc- under the guidance of your physiotherapist.
A Big No to Stair case, squatting postures, any chair which has a sitting platform lower than your knees and lifting weights.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj