What causes spasms of muscles?

Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai

Endocrinologist

Posted on Mon, 28 Jul 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have muscle spasms throughout my body, ie; feet , legs, abdomen, esophagus, scalp, forearms, hands etc. I have been on 50,000 units of Vitamin D, my calcium level is normal. I also have a nodule on my thyroid less than 1cm in diameter, which I have already seen an endocrinologist about. My labs come back normal every time I am tested, and my Vit D level since I've take 50,000 units weekly. Any ideas on cause ???? I have also had an endoscopy d/t swallowing issues and was negative for any abnormalities.
Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello

Detailed Answer:

Good day.
Spasms of muscles or twitchings of muscles are due to various reasons. Vitamin D deficiency , dehydration and hypothyroidism can cause musle cramps, but not spasms. I beleive what you have is muscle spasm, not cramps.

Will you be able to attach a short video of muscle spasms ??
We need to do a neurology testing to find oout the cause of spasm. Some viral infections can cause this and usually it will recover.

You have mentioned that calcium levels are normal now. Hypercalcemia and Hypocalcemia, both can cause spasms. But since calcium is normal, they are not the cause. Have you had blood tests for sodium, potassium and magnesium?

Another important, but rare disorder which can cause diffuse spasms is MOTOR NEURON DISEASE. This is a rare disorder and i would keep this at the bottom of the list.

Thyroid nodule has nothing to do with the muscle spasms and it appear to be too small for a biopsy.

Dear, you need a neurology evaluation. There are many other clinical examination clues which will guide a doctor in your case. We need to look at your tendon reflexes and other clinical clues.

Can you please tell me if you have had blood tests for sodium, pottassium and magnesium ?

Binu