What causes sore throat, night sweats and ear popping after a wisdom tooth extraction?

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Posted on Fri, 28 Sep 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have a tooth infection that made my left cheek swell up , the dentist gave me Amoxicillin ,Metronidazole, and hydrocodone-Acetamin. Which I took over the weekend , by Monday morning I had my top left wisdom tooth and the one next to it taken out and got stitches. I’m still taking the medication , at night I wake up several times drenched in sweat and feeling cold , my left ear is popping and I’m my throat is sore . Are these normal symptoms? Or should I be worried ?
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Expected symptoms

Detailed Answer:

The symptoms you are experiencing are common after wisdom tooth extraction.Feeling sweaty and cold is probably due to fever which is expected to be going on for a couple of days and then it should resolve on its own.

Also, the sore throats and ear popping is probably a referee pain from your teeth and is also a common symptom following wisdom tooth extraction. So, I would recommend that you continue on your medications , but if these symptoms continues for more than three days then you should refer to your doctor as this could be a sign of infection.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman, Internal Medicine Specialist

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad