question-icon

What causes sore throat and cough post tooth extraction?

Posted on Wed, 11 May 2016
Question: I just got my wisdom tooth extracted 4 days ago. The day after the extraction I woke up with a scratchy throat. 3rd day I developed a cough. I have noticed that I have a dry socket where my tooth was taken out. I have read about symptoms of dry socket and I have most of them. This morning I woke up with the sore throat and cough but now there is a slight vibration on the left side of my chest. It isn't constant. It comes and goes. What is going on with me? Is my throat and cough a reaction from the tooth extraction or something else?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
sounds like something else...

Detailed Answer:

sore throat and cough are not connected to dental procedures unless inspiration of contaminated material occurred which is very unlikely for a young individual. Cough and sore throat are usually caused by viruses but bacterial infection cannot be excluded. You'd better visit your doctor for clinical examination and assessment.

Kind Regards!
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis