Suggest treatment for symptoms of alveolar osteitis

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist

Posted on Tue, 4 Apr 2017 in Dental Health
Question: Hope you can advise. Couple of questions. Stumbled upon this site.

I had a back tooth extracted 4 days ago. After extraction, I asked dentist if I would need antibiotic and pain medication. He said it was a smooth extraction and did not think I would need either. By the way, no stitches.
I did have extreme pain the next day. Called and receptionist stated to expect this. I would need nothing.

4 days later, I am in EXTREME PAIN. Have tried ibuprofen etc.. 800 mgs does not help. I had some tramadol left from a previous prescription, helps, slightly. I am in pain every waking moment, even trying to relax on couch. I can not eat or drink. I force myself to eat until I cannot take pain anymore. I apply anbesol and chloroseptic continually just to be able to speak and get through a day.

I will call office again (tomorrow/today) but am concerned I will get no help, or be told to use something similar to what I have already tried.

I guess after all of this... My question is what can I do now at 1:25 in the morning about pain?

Thank you, XXXXXXX

P.S. I found an old bottle prescription of clindamycin palmitate hydrochloride. Started rinsing today. Will that help if possible infections?

P.P.S. Sorry this is a long message.
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Might be a Dry socket..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Thanks for the query..

Severe pain in extraction site even after 4 days of extraction can be due to unhealed extraction site leading to Dry Socket..

It is a very painful condition but can be confirmed only after clinical evaluation..

Tramadol can help with severe pain but in case if it is also not helping the you can take Ketorolac..

But to relieve pain soon and sleep easily you can consult an Emergency room and get an injection of painkiller so that you get pain relief faster..

In case if there is infection then a prescription of antibiotics will be advised to you..

Applying cool compresses over the cheek, doing warm saline gargles will also help..

Hope this information helps..

Regards..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Honey Arora 21 minutes later
What can I do now to help myself if this is dry socket?
What is ketorolac? Is it more helpful than tramadol?
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Details given below .

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
You can place clove oil over the painful site by damping it over the cotton and pressing it very gently in the socket..

You can place a cool tea bag on the painful area..

As explained above cool packs over cheek and warm saline gargle will help..

Gargle with warm water in which a pinch of turmeric added..

Ketorolac can help in relieving acute pain and so do Tramadol but at times if one group of medication is not helping much, other can give good results..

Although Tramadol is also an effective one..

Hope this helps..

Regards..

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Thank you. I am glad I can speak for to someone knowledgable at 3:00am. Thank you for advice and by the way, your name is cool and unique.
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please rate the question..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Thanks for the appreciation..

If you find the answers helpful please write a positive review land rate the query as Five star..

Wish you a good health..

Regards..