What causes shortness of breath?

Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 24 Sep 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: In May I had extensive heart checks with treadmill and XXXXXXX also doppler : everything proved OK however I am still tired with shortness of breath. I have no pain. I am 76 years and have carried cholesterol of 235 for years. I cannot take statin drugs.
In 2009 I had a pacemaker installed after my heart stopped. At that time I spent 5 days in the hospital with tests that showed everything normal- an electrical problem.
Should I follow up for additional checks? Any idea of a new problem?
Answered by Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need more information

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,
I have some questions
1. Whether your shortness of breath is connected with physical activity
2. What was your ejection fraction on your last echo. Do you have valvular problems
3. What medications do you take currently
4. Do you have comorbidities

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan 7 hours later
1. Shortness of breath is associated with physical activity.If I climb one level of steps in 6 seconds (12 steps) I am almost out of breath, breathing hard.
2. I have no valve problems.
3. Medicines: 1 men's over 50 multivitamin, 2 krill oil capsules daily, 1.5 g androgel every other day, D3-50 50,000 units every week.
4. I have no medical issues, no diseases etc.
( I am 5'- 8" and weigh 155 lbs)
Answered by Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Treadmill with high METs excludes heart failure

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

If you have negative treadmill test with high METs it excludes heart failure and ischemia.

Climbing 12 steps in 6 seconds is rather quickly. If you aren't use to exercise much it can cause breathlessness. In this case I would advise you to try exercise regularly, start with small activities with slow rate.

If you used to be physically active and you started to have shortness of breath during your ordinary activities we should look for a cause.
You can check your lungs; simply chest X-Rays.

And there is a syndrome called pacemaker syndrome, during pacemaker work there can be asynchrony which causes breathlessness. You can discuss it with your doctor, it depends on how much your pacemaker works and whether you have complains during pacing.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan 13 hours later
I am extremely active. I go to the "Y" every week to work out and walk 2 miles as rapidly as I can. I walk because I use to run but when I realized my pacemaker was moving up and down rapidly I changed. 75% of the time I can go two miles, but just randomly I have to terminate because of extremely tiredness and loss of breath. There is no set pattern, it just seem to hit me.
Answered by Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need pacemaker follow-up

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

I would advise you to see your arrhythmologist to check your pacemaker work.
It seems your symptoms are connected with your pacemaker.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj