What causes shortness of breath in pregnancy?

Infertility Specialist
Question
My daughter is 4months pregnant short of breath all the time and is taking metapropnol 50mg .Tonight she went to the doctors for a heart check and her paulse was 180pm.ekg was fine dopler negetive in legs but very short of breath every time she walk a short distance. The doctor told her natural birth was not in the cards and that her OB should have her see a cardiologist and or but her in high risk pregnancy. What danger is she and the baby in? Should she so nothing but rest until she sees her OB?
Posted Mon, 1 Sep 2014 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Heart disease

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I read your query and I understand your concerns.

Following is my reply

1. Your daughter seems to be suffering from either anemia or heart disease.

2. Such severe breathlessness in such early pregnancy is due to heart disease most of times.

3. She needs to see a cardiologist immediately.

4. If heart disease is severe its life threatening to her as well as baby.

5. Please get diagnosis from cardiologist soon.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol