• question-icon

What kind of exposure leads to acute silicosis?

Posted on Wed, 25 May 2016 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: What kind of exposure leads to acute silicos is or PAP lung disorder?
About 2 weeks ago I was exposed to silica dust on a home DIY project. I had been grinding concrete in a low ventilated area for about 30 minutes. I was wearing a half face respirator but it only contained an organic vapor cartridge which does not provide great particulate protection. I stirred up quite a bit of dust, visibility was hazy. I did this once a week before this event with no effects. My symptoms are slight shortness of breath in the morning and some soreness in my chest and back. I saw my family practitioner a week ago and she ordered x-rays, which were clear and she said my she said my breathing sounded clear with a stethoscope. She put me on anti-biotic for the soreness but it has not subsided. I am extremely scared that I may have signed my own death warrant here and am hoping that these symptoms are to be expected with exposure to any irritant. Please help!
XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry for death or acute sillicosis or PAP.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Health Care Magic.
I can understand your concern.
Single exposure of any irritant can not cause serious lung diseases like acute sillicosis or PAP (Pulmonary Alveolar Protienosis).
Acute sillicosis occurs after 7-10 days of exposure and symptoms are hypoxia, severe breathlessness, coughing, hemoptysis which need hospitalization.
Since all these symptoms are absent in your case, no need to worry for acute sillicosis.
Your chest x ray is also normal so as respiratory system examination, so PAP is also unlikely.
In my opinion, you are mostly having post inhalation bronchitis.
Any kind of dust on inhalation, causes irritation and inflammation in airways. These can lead to bronchitis and all the symptoms.
So along with antibiotic, you should also start antihistamine and anti inflammatory drugs.
Oral bronchodilator will also be helpful.
Don't worry, you will be alright with all these.
Don't worry for acute sillicosis or PAP.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 14 hours later
Thank you Doctor!
This puts my mind at ease. What worries me is that there is not a lot of information out there on Acute Silicosis or PAP lung disease. One thing that I have read is that symptoms for Acute Silicosis can appear anywhere between several weeks to two years, is this information not accurate then?
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes, it can appear between weeks to years.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up question on Health Care Magic.
I can understand your concern.
Honestly speaking, that information is true.
Acute sillicosis can occur between few weeks to two years.
But in my practical experience, acute sillicosis if at all occur will give rise to x ray changes and severe breathlessness first.
I am practising in XXXXXXX And here sillicosis is far more common than rest of the world.
I deal with acute sillicosis every week.
And normal chest x ray and mild breathlessness is unlikely to develop acute sillicosis.
Infact, acute bronchitis is more common than acute sillicosis after silicon dust exposure.
And your symptoms are also favoring acute bronchitis more.
So no need to worry for acute sillicosis.
Please let me know, do you smoke?
I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 29 minutes later
I do not smoke. I quit 10 years ago, I had smoke for about 8 years prior to quiting. Is acute silicosis likely to occur from repeated high level exposures? From what I have gathered it is more likely from months of repeated high level of silica dust rather than a single or even a couple of exposures.
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, repeated heavy exposure of sillica can cause acute sillicosis.

Detailed Answer:
I can understand your concern.
Yes, you are right. Repeated, high level of sillica exposure can lead to acute sillicosis.
Single or couple of exposure of this is less likely to cause acute sillicosis.
Please let me know, why you are so much afraid of acute sillicosis?
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 1 hour later
I suppose I was fearful because, my exposure seemed quite large to me and it seems that Acute Silicosis is always fatal and not a peaceful way to die.
Thank you for putting my mind at ease, Doctor.
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Where do you work?

Detailed Answer:
I can understand your concern.

Yes, you are right about acute sillicosis. But honestly speaking, it is not that common even in high risk population.

So no need to worry for acute sillicosis or PAP.

Please let me know
1. Where do you work?
2. Are you having repeated sillica exposure?

Please reply me answers of above asked questions, so that I can guide you better. I will be happy to help you further.

Wish you good health.
Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist