What causes sharp localised pain in left foot?

Dr. Harish Naik

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: Just this past afternoon I noticed a sharp pointed pain (small and localized) in the outside edge of my left foot. Sharp mild pain as though a rock was stuck in my shoe. However I'm not wearing shoes! Nothing visible to cause it. The pain continues tonight wearing socks and sneakers at work. What is the little pain becoming?
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Looks like impact injury , analgesic cream for local application

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Welcome to HCM.
I have gone through your query. Based on the information it appears to be soft tissue injury ( injury to plantar surface) may be due to stress or some impact with hard object while walking which usually goes unnoticed.

Presently I would suggest you to wear thick socks while using shoes or wear two socks on the affected side. Avoid shoes with heels, wear flatter ones. Local application of analgesic cream like diclofenac gel will be helpful. Also, you can take an over the counter analgesic like ibuprofen which will help. It should decrease within a week.

If it persists after a week, it needs an evaluation and you need to get a x Ray of the foot.

Hope this helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Harish Naik 2 hours later
Dr. Naik: I neglected to mention the pain is over the bump of the last toe. If I've read the diagram correctly it's located over the "tuberosity of the 5th metatarsal". Thank you for the suggestions of analgesic cream and ibuprofen.
I will begin the treatments this morning. Thank you, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Take three treatment as suggested

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Good to hear from you.
Thanks for the additional information, kindly treatment as suggested earlier, you will be fine.

I'll be glad to help you with further query, of you have.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj