Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

Had been to get crown, advised complete rehabilitation. Have upper front teeth broken after hit, some decayed

I went to the dentist to get a crown last year and he told me that I was going to need some complete work done with my teeth. My two upper front teeth and some that are next to it are decaying, recently I was playing with my dog and he was running towards me and slammed me right in the face which made my upper front tooth break in half no pain whatsoever which I assume is because it was decayed. I was just wondering when I go into the dentist is he going to tell me that other teeth have to come out first before I can get this tooth fixed? My parents 30th anniversary is in one month and I really don't want to be absent from there weekend in Vegas, but at the same time I don't like having to speak with my lips closed because I don't anyone to notice my missing half tooth
Asked On : Mon, 15 Apr 2013
Answers:  7 Views:  56
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Dentist 's  Response
Hello there ,

Thanks for writing your query,

As you have mentioned you have encountered impact injury in the upper front teeth which got broken.

such broken teeth needs x ray examination and pulp vitality test to rule out the vitality of the teeth.

If the tooth is non vital , it needs to be treated by a root canal procedure so please consider getting the treatment done by consulting a dentist.

If the teeth are vital and pain less , broken teeth can be restored with prosthetic crown coverage.

other decayed teeth can be restored with simple fillings or root canal procedure if needed.

please consider getting the treatment done approaching a dentist.

i hope this helps ,

take care.
Answered: Thu, 18 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response
Thanks for writing in.
yOUR partially broken tooth has broken which need to be corrected as early as possible.
If the tooth is painless,you can get temporary crown/veneering done.
After the anniversary function,please get the appropriate treatment done based on clinical and x-ray investigations.
Maintain good oral hygiene too.
Avoid food lodgement and plaque accumulation to prevent gingivitis .
Get routine dental check-up done.
Take care.
Answered: Wed, 17 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response
Hello dear
Dental treatment is always time taking and should be long tell your dentist tabout your problem he can give you a temporary solution .After the anjiversary you can go for the complete treatment .
Dr. Amit k. Gaba
Answered: Tue, 16 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Anshumala Singh's  Response
Dear friend.

Thanks for sharing your concern.

partially broken teeth can be well repaired cosmetically within few hours,but only when the tooth is symptom free and otherwise healthy.

If the tooth is decayed then it has to be first treated by root canal and then a prosthetic crown is placed on it.this takes time as it has several sittings.

Also if the teeth are decayed completely and even root canal cannot save the teeth.then in that case definitely, an extraction has to be carried out.followed by crown and bridge as replacement

Therefore a would suggest you to see your dentist once and get it evaluated.later on a suitable treatment can be done.

hope it helps.
take care.
Answered: Tue, 16 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Benley George's  Response
You have to get the broken tooth fixed by your dentist. Ideally the line of treatment would be a Root canal treatment followed by a Ceramic crown placed over it. There is no mention of the other problems. If the adjacent teeth is decayed it should be restored. Consult your dentist at the earliest and get the treatment done.
Answered: Mon, 22 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Qazi Ammara's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

The upper front teeth which are broken you need to take an x-ray of the teeth and go for Root canal treatment, It is a time consuming procedure and requires 3-4 sittings, followed by the placement of prosthetic crown.

You have to carry out your treatment systematically as described by the Dentist.
Decayed tooth needed to be restored, badly carious mobile tooth need to be extracted
The missing teeth can be replaced by fixed or removable prosthesis.

Hope this helps out.

Answered: Tue, 16 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Sonia Nayab's  Response
hi there
thanks for asking your query

treatment option in your case depends upon overall condition of your mouth,bone density and support,remaining teeth,periodontal conditions,
if the broken tooth have good bone support and enough remaining tooth structure then get them root treated (RCT) core buildup and then crowning, 2nd option is get them extracted and have a partial denture.

if broken tooth have poor bone support and periodontal condition then go for 2nd option

for a temporary solution to hide your broken teeth,get them fixed with composie buildup or get them extracted and have an immediate partial denture.
Answered: Tue, 16 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor