What causes severe pain in the posterior ribcage region with no symptoms of cough and fever?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on 3 days ago in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Good morning.My question is this: for the past two days Ive had constant pain in me posterior ribcage region.No cough.No fever.Just pain.Im 59 years old....
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can you provoke this pain by touching? Probable costochondritis

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks so much for this query.

This suggest a pain caused by inflammation of the rib cage given the absent of any other symptom. This will be further classic if the pain can be provoked or made worse by applying pressure to this area with the hands.

Treatment is with Ibuprofen. I will recommend 600mg every 8hours for 7days. If this fails to address the pain, add tylenol 1000mg every 8hours as well.

Keep me posted. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up for more information and details if need be.