What causes severe pain in the lower left quadrant?

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Posted on Fri, 10 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I'm looking for the source/cause of my on going pain in the lower left quadrant of my belly. I recently had both an endoscopy and colonoscopy. Esophageal candidiasis, hiatal hernia, gastritis and diverticulosis were found. No polyps identified. Diflucan and omeprazole prescribed. Put on high fiber, high protein diet. Pain persists. Any ideas?
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Seems to be due to diverticulosis only

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ms, this pain is mostly due to diverticulitis.

You should add a fiber supplement as Metamucil or Citrucel. Additionally, you should also be put on an antibiotic as Rifaximin (please discuss this with your doctor and to obtain the necessary prescription).

An anti inflammatory as Mesalamine will reduce the symptoms. You should also get a urine analysis to exclude any urinary tract infection as another cause of the pain.

I hope I answered your question.

Please feel free to ask in case of any further queries.

Kind regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee