What causes severe itching and burning sensation with rashes on the vagina?

Dr. Sameer Kumar

OB and GYN Specialist

Posted on Mon, 19 Sep 2016 in General Health
Question: I'm having severe itchiness, burning sensation(while washing) and rashes on my vagina. Over the course of few years(2 years at least), there is foul smell as well.
I'm a breastfeeding mother. My daughter is 14 months old. I have a copper-T insertion. I'm a hypothyroid patient. Take Eltroxin 50MG daily.
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
mixed vaginosis

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the query to HCM,
The presence of itching, burning and foul smell with rashes over vagina indicate the presence of mixed vaginosis infection ( fungal + bacterial). Please get a per sperculum examination and a high vaginal swab culture done to isolate the organisms ( trichomonas + candida).
Copper-t is unlikely to be the cause of infection as it is inside uterus. You may require antibiotics and antifungals for a week for treating the symptoms as a whole. So please visit your gynecologist for an examination.
I hope i have answered your query in detail,
Wishing you good health,
Reards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar