Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
151 Doctors are Online

What causes severe headaches and lump in neck?

Apr 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 6481 Questions
I have been experiencing headaches quite frequently lately, some of them have been excruciating. I also recently noticed that I have a pea sized lump in the back of my neck on the right side. --- In addition to these two things, I recently learned that I have a fibroid (uterine) the size of a 16 week old baby and I haven't really received any feedback on what to do nor was there any scans of any kind done. I have found another lump on my chest as well that seems to be getting bigger. I'm only 33 years old and I can't recall the last time that I felt well. Can someone help me with at least what may be triggering the headaches and the lump in my neck?
Posted Mon, 10 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Lump in the neck may be enlarged lymph node. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing to us Pea size lump in the back of neck on the right side may be due to enlarged lymph node.It is the site of draining lymph nodes from head and neck.Usually it is due to benign reasons like scalp infection (due to dandruff,louse etc),infection in external ear etc. In most of the cases it doesn't require any treatment and it will resolve after some time.However other skin lesions like lipoma,neurofibroma etc need to be ruled out. Chest lump also need proper evaluation. For headache you need proper clinical history and examination. You need routine blood examination like routine hemogram,RBS,LFT,RFT,Lipid profile,Thyroid profile.Further investigations can be done if needed. Mostly headache is due to benign reasons. It may be due to tension headache,migraine headache,sinus headache,hypertension headache,neck or eye problems etc. Proper treatment depend upon clinical examination and investigation reports. CT Scan or MRI of brain can be done if needed. Treatment of uterine fibroid depend upon many things like symptoms,family is completed or not.You have big fibroid.I think you may need surgical removal. It may be in the form of myomectomy or hysterectomy depending upon conditions.You should consult your gynecologist. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor