What causes severe headache, photophobia and nausea when diagnosed with meningism?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in Headache and Migraines
Question: I was admitted to hospital last week and treated initially for bacterial meningitis, following an LP I was diagnosed with meningism. I've felt progressively better for the past few days but have woke this morning with an excruciating headache I can't get rid of with medicine, photophobia again and extreme nausea with no vomiting. It is normal to have a set back like this in recovering?

thank you. I had a CT scan 7 days ago which was reported as normal, but I feel dreadful today which has come as a XXXXXXX I phoned my gp who wanted to assess me but I couldn't being myself to get out of bed and dressed to go in. hopefully tomorrow will be better. thanks again.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Another CT scan should be done if headache does not subside.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting your query.

I am Dr Sudhir Kumar, Neurologist, and would try my best to help you.

I have noted your clinical details. Based on this, you require further evaluation. I presume your lumbar puncture was normal. In that case, the exact cause is still not identified.

It is possible that it is a migraine attack now. You can try taking naproxen 500 mg or rizatriptan 10 mg tablet for relief of headache. If headache persists, you should go in for a repeat CT scan of brain to exclude other causes of severe headache.

I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in

Brief Answer:
That should be fine.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

I hope you get better soon. Please keep me informed of your progress.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)