• question-icon

What causes severe back pain after a spinal fusion surgery?

Posted on Fri, 27 May 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hello. I am a 61 year old pretty healthy male. I had left L4 / L5 minimally invasive Transforaminal Lumbar Interbody Fusion with L3 / L 4 Laminectomy surgery on February 1st (7-weeks ago), which was a success according to my orthopedic surgeon. I was told to wear a rigid back brace (which they provided at all times, except for bed). I also started PT right away. However, my Physical Therapist told me straight off to take off the brace and I felt great. My OS disagreed and told me to leave it on, which is very difficult to do? Now, my pain is so bad upon awakening that it is extremely difficult getting started. Is there something that I could have possibly messed-up? My OS, said no, but the pain in the morning is getting worse every day.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
New imaging evaluation is needed.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

It takes about three months for a spinal fusion to successfully set up and mature, so, maximal attention is needed in this period to prevent any damage.

If these recommendations aren't followed strictly, failure of fusion may result.

Rigid back braces use for about two months are part of this attention, besides restriction of physical activity and weights, so, if you are again in pain, new imaging evaluation is needed to be sure if there was any fusion failure or not.

Discuss with your treating Doctor about getting evaluated by imaging such CT scan or MRI of your lumbosacral column.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Greetings.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical