question-icon

What causes sensitivity to dust mights and penicillium mold?

default
Posted on Sat, 23 May 2015
Question: I'm I recently took a skin test and found out that I am allergic to dust mights and Penicillium mold. The allergist went into great detail about the dust mights but not the mold.


can you please give me any information you can on how to avoid or identify Penicillium mold. I have enough info on the dust mites.
doctor
Answered by Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Avoid dark damp places

Detailed Answer:
Hello.

This is Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta answering your query.

First, I would like to tell you that a skin allergy test can identify many such household things one is allergic to which however one cannot avoid. Dust and molds are such things.

Molds are basically fungal growths on decaying materials, like fruits or food and also you can see these in damp dark places, like corners or ceilings of damp rooms etc. You cannot identify penicilllium molds with normal eyes. It can only be detected on microscope. There can be many molds of mucor, aspergillus, fusarium, penicillium together. So my suggestion would be to avoid all molds - household exposure to molds which you can do precisely and wear surgical masks when you go outside and avoid dark damp places. That should be protective.

Hope this was useful.
Consult me for further queries.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
doctor
Answered by
Dr.
Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2013

Answered : 906 Questions

premium_optimized

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
What causes sensitivity to dust mights and penicillium mold?

Brief Answer: Avoid dark damp places Detailed Answer: Hello. This is Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta answering your query. First, I would like to tell you that a skin allergy test can identify many such household things one is allergic to which however one cannot avoid. Dust and molds are such things. Molds are basically fungal growths on decaying materials, like fruits or food and also you can see these in damp dark places, like corners or ceilings of damp rooms etc. You cannot identify penicilllium molds with normal eyes. It can only be detected on microscope. There can be many molds of mucor, aspergillus, fusarium, penicillium together. So my suggestion would be to avoid all molds - household exposure to molds which you can do precisely and wear surgical masks when you go outside and avoid dark damp places. That should be protective. Hope this was useful. Consult me for further queries. Regards.