• question-icon

What causes scalp bleeding in a 81 year old diabetic patient?

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Skin Cancer
Question: 81 y o diabetic type II w hydrocephalus shut inserted one year ago by neurosurgeon. Very pleased with outcome. Resent aware of bleeding from several locations on scalp. On several blood thinner meds including warfarin. Northern european heritage with fair skin and blue eyes. Malignant melanoma in situ left forearm removed two plus years ago no complications. I can not see lesions so depending on spouses observations. Am concerned that the lesions are malignant melanoma. Have next routine follow up visit with dermatologist in four weeks. Wife thinks condition is urgent or emergency and warrants earlier attention. What say you?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Requires earlier attention!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I have reviewed this information fully. With bleeding from multiple locations on the scalp in a patient who is on blood thinner, we may be very much into a state of excessive anticoagulation. It would be necessary to evaluate the clotting profile and make adjustments accordingly. When a client bleeds and it is visible, there is always that possibility of occult bleeding going on somewhere in the body and we want to address that pretty soon as well. I will say, let her:

1. Get and early appointment, say for Monday 04/04/16, if not possible,
2. Consider and ER visit!

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be. Above all, thanks for using our services.
Dr. Chobufo Ditah