What causes runny nose and dry cough?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Thu, 19 Jul 2018 in Child Health
Question: Hello doctor mu 4 month old son has a slight cold with occasional coughing. He has running nose with clear liquid. The cough is dry and occasional. I am slightly worried about the cough can you enlighten me on this.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possibly due to viral cause. Irrespective of trtment it may last for a week

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through the details and understand your concern. Most often such symptoms like running nose and cough are due to an allergic component associated with a viral infections. Irrespective of treatment it usually spontaneously resolves in 5-7 days. Since such infections are usually associated with an allergic component and giving Atarax Drops (hydroxizine, prescription medicine) should help. Cetirizine is an over the counter alternative that can also be given instead.

If your child is otherwise active and playful, I would not be concerned. If not, it would be a good idea to visit a doctor and to get the child evaluated. If the respiratory rate is greater than or equal to 50 breaths/min you would need to take her to a doctor for the possibility of underlying pneumonia. If the rate is lesser, you need not worry.

You need to give steam inhalation to your child. It helps in reducing the congestion and thereby the cough. Just sit with the child on your lap and place the source of steam before you. The water vapor will be in the air and automatically the child will breathe it in. Water vapor will reach deep inside and would help in diluting the cough and thus would provide relief.

Please be patient. It may take a few more days before recovery occurs.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana