What causes runny nose and dry cough?
Possibly due to viral cause. Irrespective of trtment it may last for a week
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.
I have gone carefully through the details and understand your concern. Most often such symptoms like running nose and cough are due to an allergic component associated with a viral infections. Irrespective of treatment it usually spontaneously resolves in 5-7 days. Since such infections are usually associated with an allergic component and giving Atarax Drops (hydroxizine, prescription medicine) should help. Cetirizine is an over the counter alternative that can also be given instead.
If your child is otherwise active and playful, I would not be concerned. If not, it would be a good idea to visit a doctor and to get the child evaluated. If the respiratory rate is greater than or equal to 50 breaths/min you would need to take her to a doctor for the possibility of underlying pneumonia. If the rate is lesser, you need not worry.
You need to give steam inhalation to your child. It helps in reducing the congestion and thereby the cough. Just sit with the child on your lap and place the source of steam before you. The water vapor will be in the air and automatically the child will breathe it in. Water vapor will reach deep inside and would help in diluting the cough and thus would provide relief.
Please be patient. It may take a few more days before recovery occurs.
Let me know if I could help further.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes runny nose
- What causes a dry cough
- Continuous dry cough causes
- Dry cough causes
- What causes dry cough with headaches and leg cramps
- Have dry cough runny nose nausea and problem in eating
- Dry cough and runny nose
- Constant dry cough causes
- Melatonin causes dry cough?
- What causes dry cough after fever
- Suggest treatment for autism spectrum disorder
- What causes loose stools post cesarean operation?
- Suggest treatment for rash on a 4 yr old
- What do light colored skin patches on thigh indicate?
- Suggest treatment for fever and sore throat in a child
- What causes swelling in head of an infant?
- Can Taxim O Forte and Vizylac be given together?
- Suggest treatment for anorectal malformation in a down syndrome child
- What causes vomiting after feeding breast milk?
- Suggest treatment for persistent high fever