What causes rough patches of skin on an infant's hands?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014

Dermatologist
Question
hi,

we are seeing some small rough patches on both hands of our daughter who is 2years old. attached pics for reference. does it require any treatment?
Fri, 25 May 2018 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Eczematous dermatitis

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have gone through your query and I have viewed the image.,
She has dry, scaly, eczematous patches on her arms which is actually due severe dryness of her skin.

I suggest you to apply a moisturizer frequently to keep her skin hydrated. In addition I suggest that you use a moderately potent topical steroid e.g either Fluticasone Propionate 0.05 % cream Or Mometasone Furoate 0.1 % cream, twice daily for the patches. You may also give her a syp. Cetrizine 5mg/5ml, 1tsf daily for symptomatic relief from itching. Topical steroids are prescription medications and I suggest that you talk to your local practitioner for a prescription of the same.