What causes rough patches of skin on an infant's hands?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 25 May 2018 in General Health
Question: hi,

we are seeing some small rough patches on both hands of our daughter who is 2years old. attached pics for reference. does it require any treatment?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Eczematous dermatitis

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have gone through your query and I have viewed the image.,
She has dry, scaly, eczematous patches on her arms which is actually due severe dryness of her skin.

I suggest you to apply a moisturizer frequently to keep her skin hydrated. In addition I suggest that you use a moderately potent topical steroid e.g either Fluticasone Propionate 0.05 % cream Or Mometasone Furoate 0.1 % cream, twice daily for the patches. You may also give her a syp. Cetrizine 5mg/5ml, 1tsf daily for symptomatic relief from itching. Topical steroids are prescription medications and I suggest that you talk to your local practitioner for a prescription of the same.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T