What causes right buttock pain in a person with right knee ACL injury?

Question
After sleeping on a motel bed for 3 weeks I developed pain in the middle of my right buttock. At first it was not so bad but then became excruciating. When I would get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom I would have to walk with a walking can because my right leg felt like it would buckle under me. Then a Physical Therapist told me while I was sutting to squeeze the muscles in the right buttock tightly, hold for 10 seconds, release and repeat 10 times. After doing this for about a week the pain went away. Now I am sleeping in a different bed again and the pain has returned. It is intense if I lay on my back in bed and raise my right leg straight up. The pain does not go down the back of my leg like sciatica but stays in the middle of my buttock. I also have torn ACL on my right knee. What is wrong and how can it be fixed?
Fri, 11 May 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Eni 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
ACL related most likely

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dear,
Welcome and thank you for posting your question.

Yes, the ACL on your right knee can affect to exacerbate the pain because to move your knee you tend to use more the intermedius buttocks muscle and when it doesn't rest enough it can ache or maybe even get a bit strained.

Since the exercise that you did earlier was helpful, then I would suggest to redo it, but also consider total rest and ice cubes in the pain area. You can take also Ibuprofen or Ketoprofen for the pain, always after eating. Do not forget to eat food with calcium and drink a lot of water.

I would also suggest to get an MRI done of your knee just to recheck, and also a muscle ultrasound of your buttock.

Hope my advice will help.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to post them.

Dr. Eni