What causes regular bowel movements when diagnosed with diverticulitis?

Gastroenterologist
Question
I had a colonoscopy Dec. 14th. I have one every one/two years as I have colitis. I also have a tortuous colon.
I have been having bowel movements regularly except that I have very little feeling that one is coming. I do not have diarrhea. This is very annoying. On my doctor's written report to me, after the colonoscopy, there was no mention of any issues. FYI - I am 77 years of age and have not had any previous issues after a colonoscopy. I also have diverticulitis. Many thanks in advance for your comments.
Sat, 9 Jun 2018 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please follow...

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking.

I read carefully all your concerns and I can say as follows:

1. You are reporting to have regular bowel movements but you have an annoying feeling that one is coming.

This feeling may be related to:
- tortuous colon may cause functional problems of your bowels and incomplete peristalsis (the rhythmic movements of the intestine).

Otherwise candida overgrowth and parasitic infection should be rouled out by fecal culture test.

Another possible cause of your symptoms is Lialda side effects.
Lialda rarely may cause mild cramps.

2. It is a good sign that you have normal mucosa on colonoscopy and no signs of inflammation.
It means that you are in remission status and that is a good sign too.

Hope it was helpful to you. Feel free to ask further.

Dr.Klerida