What causes redness in toes while walking with crutches?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 4 Nov 2015 in Veins and Arteries
Question: When I stand up and walk with my crutches is it normal for my toes to get really red under my nwb foot in cast? Is that circulation?

I try to wiggle my toes regularly, however the smaller two toes feel stiff at times. Is this normal?

I guess I am 5 weeks post op as of yesterday so will have lots of different pains.

I dislocated my ankle and broke my fibula. Have plate and screws in fibula.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not normal to have redness or stiffness in toes.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query and pictures showing the X-ray and the actual color differentiation that can be perceived so well in the photograph.

It is not normal to get the redness of toes or stiffness at the smaller two toes.
You are already 5 weeks post-op. The pains should have reduced or gone by this time.

I would advise you to consult your Operating Surgeon ASAP and get a clinical evaluation and further tests and treatment done.

I hope this answers your query, please feel free to ask for further if you feel that there is a gap of communication.
Have a great day...
http://bit.ly/askdrtchandrakant
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 8 hours later
Sorry I don't think was clear on my question.

I currently cannot weight bear. I have been told not to weight bear on my casted leg until Oct.26 on my next follow up appointment.

I do not have any pain in my foot. It just goes red when I do not have it elevated. Only when I use my crutches and have it dangling. Do you think it is just the blood flowing to my toes? I am on blood thinners as well.

Also I forgot to ask, how did the xray look to you from the surgery?

Thanks
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is due to excessive blood glowing to the toes.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your feedback.
Noted that you are advised not to bear weight until Oct 26, no pain, goes red when when the limb is not elevated, when you use crutches or have it dangling.
This is certainly the blood flowing to the toes and since most of the part is covered by a cast.
Also noted that you are on blood thinners.
X-ray looks absolutely fine.