• question-icon

What causes redness and itching in the right eye of a 17 month old infant?

Posted on Tue, 24 May 2016 in Child Health
Question: Hello Doctor, my question is about my toddler(17 months/male). His right eye looks red at the interior corner - it started 2 days ago and doesn't look like gradually reducing. don't think it has significant itching effect yet, though he rubs his eye occasionally. the only thing that happened differently before it appeared is we went out on a bike in sun (that was a little dusty road, a very short trip though). I thought it would subside in a day or two if it was due to dust. please see attached a photo. kindly advise if it looks concerning and I can use any generic eye drop (for babies) to help his situation. thanks in advance.
Answered by Dr. Archana Verma 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Mild localized conjunctivitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I have gone through your question and attached image. Do not worry. This usually occurs due to mild conjuntivitis which can be secondary to bacterial infection or dust. You may use antibiotic such as tobramycin eye drops thrice daily for relief.

Hopefully it will be of help. I would be happy to help you in any further questions.

Follow up: Dr. Archana Verma 19 minutes later
thanks for a prompt response doctor, I'll use the drop and let you know. thanks again.
Answered by Dr. Archana Verma 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
I am sure that she will improve soon.
Follow up: Dr. Archana Verma 2 days later
hello doctor, I've now tried tobramycin drops on him for 2 days, but can't see any improvement as such - it's still red. I attach a recent photo. do I need to continue for more days before a result becomes visible? thank you in advance.
Answered by Dr. Archana Verma 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Continue with the treatment

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I understand your concerns but don't worry. It may take a week to recover. So, continue the same treatment. In case, you feel that he has watery eyes with increased irritation, photophobia, redness, then visit an opthalmologist for proper clinical examination.
Hopefully it will be of help.
Dr. Archana Verma

Pediatrician