What causes red eyes, cough and throat irritation while on Levothyroxine?

Dr. Eni

Posted on Wed, 30 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: i have these symptoms since yesterday
jittery hands
red eyes
cough
throat irritation
nausea
headache on temples
and these 2 yesterday only
diarrhea
upper stomach pain
current meds: levothyroxine 50mcg daily

Answered by Dr. Eni 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most probably a gastrointestinal virus

Detailed Answer:
Dear patient,
I have read your question in detail, and I understand your concern.
From what you describe, it seems to be a viral infection, manifested in your gastrointestinal tract, your eyes and your respiratory tract as well.
The body is fighting the virus and it is doing its best to remove it from your organism, that's why you have diarrhea and nausea.
The main concern is dehydration. You need to drink a lot and try to eat soup. Even if you throw it up, your stomach will absorb enough.
It is ok to have diarrhea and to throw up up to 4 times a day each. Please try to stay hydrated, and the disease will leave itself after 4-5 days.
If you exceed this number, then you may need to go to ER and have a saline infusion, to stabilize your circulation and to hydrate you through an IV route.
It seems to be a very strong virus, which is spread all over your systems, but you eventually will get better!

If you have any other question, write me.
Wish you health!
Manoku Eni M.D.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T